LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 

Hello,

It's been a long time since I worked with this nice LCD. I have "Manual version 0.0" (USBLCD manual.pdf) and was wondering if there is any updates available. What I'm currently missing is the possibility to update the used character set on the LCD.

Is there such functionality available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 13:14 

This kind functionality haven't been implemented. The idea is that as this is a graphics display it should be pretty easy and much more flexible to implement this kind support on the host side. For example the LCDInfo parallel port KS0108 driver uses two separate layers for text and graphics that it then mixes when sending to the display as graphics. As the character set used for writing to that text layer is in the host side driver it can be easily modified.
Another approach might be to use truetype fonts instead of hardcoded 6x8 fonts.

If some of these approaches sounds interesting and you'd like to see some example code let me know and I can probably find some.

Or if you feel that adding the support for user defined fonts to the USB display firmware would have some additional benefits let me know and I'll see what could be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:22 

Ok,

good to know. I could benefit if I had the feature to update the font on the panel. Usually panels like this have a 256 characters memory (8x8 pixels) for user defined fonts. Writing just chars instead of pixels is much faster.

This is how one of the LCD's I use look with a userdefined 256 font. http://www.netikka.net/jhirvo/mok/screen_lcd.htm You can fit a lot in a 256 char memory. :-)

But... I can manage without this. Need to implement something nice with text and graphics layers. And yes, example code is always welcome.