LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:45 

I was trying to get my ks0108 based lcd working on my legacy free Abit IT-7max, so i got me a pci parallel card to connect it. It wouldn't work, i threw the lcd in a drawer of my desk until today. I got me another mobo with an onboard parallel port, and within 2 hours i had the lcd working properly.

Now i checked the settings for the pci card and the i/o ranges were quite different from the ones on the new mobo. I then contacted the manufacturer of the pci card asking if I could change thes values to the rights ones and this is the answer i got:

"In order to be compatible with most software, our PCI Products and Drivers will attempt to "Re-Map" the I/O Addresses used back to Legacy (ISA type) values.
We are able to do this in:
DOS, Windows-95, Windows-98 and Windows-me.
Unfortunately, we are NOT able to Re-Map in:
Windows-NT, Windows-2000 and Windows-xp.
When the Re-Mapping is not permitted, the device must use the Addresses
assigned by the PCI System at Boot-Up.
The Re-Mapping only affects the I/O Addresses.
The IRQ used by the device is assigned by the PCI System, and can NOT be changed.
If the software application (or Driver) expects the Port to use Legacy
resources, it will probably not be possible to make it work with a PCI based Port."

So, is it possible to make adjustments in lcdinfo to have it use other legacy resources (like i/o range 8c00-8c07 \ i/o range 9000-9007) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 13:15 

You can change the IO address by hand in the LCDINFO.INI. Just remember that using the setup and saving settings may reset it back again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:21 

mmm, do i change where it says port/ basis=888? And in what do I change it? Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:01 

Yes, that's the place. "888" means same as "0x378" so you should be able to just put there the address like "8c00". You can use either the Dec or Hex format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 13:05 

k, thx for the info but it won't work :(

I tried the four i/o numbers from my previous post, but no go. The pci port itselfs seems to work ok since i attached a printer to it and that works. Only thing that happens on the lcd are some pixels lighting up or dimming randomly on each reboot

Ah weel, looks like i have to attach the lcd to my other pc then :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 19:12 

Maybe the PCI parallel ports don't work with LCDs. Have you tried with LiQuiD-MP3 just to be sure it's not only LCDInfo not working ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 21:45 

I tested every lcd soft I could get my hands on, including liquid mp3. None of them work. Argh, I hate legacy free mobos ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:00 
I presume you have tried changing the port features? SPP/EPP/ECP etc.

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:02 
Oh, you could try a USB parallel adapter. Not sure if anyone has done this yet, but it might be a option. I have one I use for a color laser and it works fine. So it must be behaving like a standard parallel port. Just a thought.

Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:34 

Using a USB to parallel adapter most likely isn't going to be very easy. Usually drivers for those only make it show as a printer port in windows and the port doesn't have address (like 0x378 for example) that could be used from other programs.

I have looked at the datasheets of the chips used in these converters and they look like they could be used to connect parallel lcds to usb port but someone would need to write drivers for them. I have one converter here waiting but I'm not sure if I ever have time to start studying this.

I don't have any experience with PCI parallel cards but maybe they also have problems like this ? Is there anyone who would have been succesfull in using PCI parallel cards with lcds ?

Post subject: I have the solution!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:05 
Hey biCker, did you find the solution already??

I had the same problem with a pci-parallel card and LCDInfo. It cost me many hours of searching the internet and trying to change the IO-adresses of the pci-card but nothing helped. Until I found the source of LCDInfo V3.0 on this website.
After compiling it I found the problem immediatly! :D The error is in de function that gets the settings for the KS108-display. The BASE-adress which you have to enter in the LCDINFO.INI-file doesn't have any effect due to this bug:

void cKS0108::GetSettings(void)
{
DATA= BASE;//0x378;
CONTROL=DATA+2;
}

As you can see here DATA (the address of your parallel port) is overwritten with the value 0x378 (mostly LPT1). I have changed it so it copies the BASE-address that was read from the INI-file. Now you have to find the correct IO-address and put this in the INI. You will have to find the IO-address of the Multifunction-card in the Device Manager (for me it was 0xA400) and now it works perfectly!!

So Henri has some work to do I think...

Greetings,

Egbert Kasper,
The Netherlands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:22 

Things should work in the 0.4 versions available here:
http://www.skippari.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... =1646#1646

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:06 

Henri wrote:
Things should work in the 0.4 versions available here:
http://www.skippari.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... =1646#1646

I have the same problem with my pci card....( got the abit IC7-max3 without lpt port)

I use the Powertip PG240128-A and can't seem to get it working....

I've installed the 0.4 and changed the the base to 7400 ( is that correct?)

but no display what so ever

also i get a error....

25-9-2003 2:02:35 GetTextLine: Error opening g:\projects\lcd_info\error.txt

what the heck am I doing wrong????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 15:33 

Hi EpMan,

I don't really understand what I have to change to get it working. Could you be a little more specific?

(you may always send me a mail in dutch, I'm belgian ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 17:35 

Tweakfreak wrote:
I use the Powertip PG240128-A and can't seem to get it working....

Have you tested this lcd with normal LPT port that it's working ok ?

Quote:
I've installed the 0.4 and changed the the base to 7400 ( is that correct?)

Looking at the screenshot you attached I don't have any better suggestions...

Quote:
also i get a error....

25-9-2003 2:02:35 GetTextLine: Error opening g:\projects\lcd_info\error.txt

This one is coming because in the screen ini file it tries to read a line from g:\projects\lcd_info\error.txt file but of course you don't have it. You can remove this by editing the screen ini file. Like I mentioned these 0.4 versions weren't meant to be publicly released so the ini files include some stuff that might not work for everyone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next