LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Garbled screen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 16:00 

computergeek wrote:
i got LCD info to run and all but now my LCD displays Garbled messages. is this bad? i swear that i wired it correctly. is there a setting that i missed? i am really confused. :(
-Computergeekguy

It could be a timing issue. You could try changing the KS0108 delay in the configuration.

Some pictures of the garbled screen would probably help identifying what could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:52 

parts of the screen actually represent what it should be displaying. now that i think about it it really does sound like a timing error. is there a recommended setting? what increments should i use? i hope that you got the picture of my LCD i hope that it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:40 

This picture looks like some other displays that have had timing issues. What LCDInfo version are you using ?

For my display delay of 0 works fine but if I remove the delay code complete then it shows some errors. So I don't think very big values of delay should be needed.

All Displaytech KS0108 displays I've wired have worked the same way but for some others with the same display and wiring the timing needed has been little different. Maybe this is because of different cable lenghts and other little details in the work. Some have had luck after redoing the wiring.

You could also try the small app I posted to the Development forum last night. And how about the KS0108 test on my site ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:53 

i am using the latest version of LCD driver. i have tried all of the delays from 0 to twenty. when i chose one i got something slightly different but after that it didn't change. please don't tell me that i have to re do the wiring. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 13:17 

computergeekguy wrote:
i am using the latest version of LCD driver.

I guess you mean LCDInfo ? And the version you use is 0.3.2 pre4 ?

Have you tried the test apps I mentioned in my previous post ? Do they give the same results ?

You could also try the display with some other system. I know of one system that wouldn't work with the display what ever you tried to do. This may have something to do with the mainboard used and it's parallel port.

Have you tried changing the parallel port settings in BIOS ? I'm not sure what they should be as I've never had to change them for the LCD but if I remember correctly mine is set to ECP/EPP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:56 

ok i got a lot more info this time. my LCD Info verson is 0.3.1 and i did as you suggested. i switched the paralell mode to ECP/EPP. well now LCD info displays nothing.
i tried your test program for the KS0108 and retrieved the following results:

first of all i selected the proper settings then i click startDriver. then i click clear LCD. then initalize LCD (Note this yields the frst visable results). the garbled screen that i saw last is now displayed and the right half is removed cleared.

from then on when i click the initalize LCD button half of the LCD is garbled with the same message and cleared.

when i try to open a bitmap the garbled screen will shift up one row.
click it again and t wll go down and up one row.

when i clck test the program freezes for about thirty to forty seconds yielding no change to the LCD.

when i click Draw Pictrure the program stalls completely and has to be killed.

The write text button does nothing.

all software is run under win 98 as it doesn't work in my w2k installaton. i have the driver program installed on my pc and still i get the error "could not open the DriverLINUX Driver".

i hope this helps. =I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:16 

i tried again on another PC and recieved the same results. i reallllllllly hope that i don't have to rewire my LCD!!!! =I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:09 

Have you tried this one yet ?
http://www.skippari.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51

It's compiled with Visual C++ instead of C++Builder and at least with T6963C I've noticed some differences in timing between the two compilers. And the Visual C++ version uses DLPortIO directly without the TDLPortIO wrapper the C++Builder version uses.

You should check your wiring to be sure there's no shorts and everything is soldered properly. I also recommend double checking the schematic using datasheets if I for some reason made a mistake while drawing it. You are the first one I know using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:32 

the program gives the error "DLPORTIO.sys device driver not loaded. port I/O will have no effect."
i have DL port I/O installed. do i need to configure it? i also have c++ installed is there something i need to do in there? i will check the wiring when i have more time, but i even did a earthquake test on my soldering and nothing moved. i really hope that this is a software issue. =I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:12 

So the first problem you have is that you don't have DLPortIO installed right. It's kind of crucial for these programs. :wink:
You could try the install.exe found from the install directory in this package: http://www.skippari.net/lcd/DLPortIO.zip

You shouldn't need to do any other configuration than getting DLPortIO installed. When DLPortIO is installed you can also try the utilities from MarkusM found here: http://www.cplayer.net/dsptech/index_eng.html

There can still be a contact problem in the soldering even if nothing is moving. You could try melting all the solder joints again just to be sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 14:37 
I have that same problem and i have tryed GiaAnimation prog by MarkusM. That worked quite nicely.
So now i know i have wired my LCD correctly. I have also tryed different BIOS settings etc.
btw. I tryed it in Windows XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 22:02 

Spark wrote:
I have that same problem and i have tryed GiaAnimation prog by MarkusM. That worked quite nicely.
So now i know i have wired my LCD correctly. I have also tryed different BIOS settings etc.
btw. I tryed it in Windows XP.

Ok, maybe there is a problem with timing in my programs. I'll try to make some modifications to the code later this week.

Anyone with this problem please email me and I will send the modified version for testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:49 

hey spark what BIOS settings are you using? i have tried many different configuratons, like the ecp/epp that henri suggested and i can't get it to work. my bios has the following options: ECP, EPP, Bi-directional, ECP/EPP, as well as 278, and 378 port settings. also there is a setting for the EPP mode to be either 1.7 or 1.9??? i think that my bios settings is one of my biggest problems. the timing appears to be another. like the pcture will be broken up in to even block sections all over the screen. i know that i am really close to having this work :? [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:59 
I have set mine to normal mode. I dont think that it matters is it set to ECP/EPP or something else. Basicly ECP and others are for extended funtionality. For the prot address->378.
Also I recomend to chek LPT settings from the windows device manager. I have chosen from the port settings tab-> Never use an interrupt and fromt the resources tab. I unchecked->use automatic settings. For I/O range mine is set to 0378-037F.
I too have broken picture so I just try again today and go thrue all bios settings again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 14:00 

My bios settings are EPP 1.9 with the port adress set to 378 and it work great , it should be a timing problem form your lcd module.
Samtech

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next