LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 21:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:47 

computergeekguy wrote:
so ummmmm how much is alot?? i measured the cable again (metric style) and it is 183cm ~ 6ft long is this bad??

I think this depends of many things. You could try with a shorter cable. I have used a 200cm cable with a Displaytech KS0108 display and it worked fine but the display I'm now using has a 1 meter long cable. The external power supply might also cause some interference for some reason, although I've used external supplies with success but noticed some glitches in rare occasions.
Quote:
hey Henri are you sure that your software is written for my display?? i really think that my display has some wierd controller on it which would causing the strange pictures.

It should be. :wink: From the Crystalfontz site and datasheets I've read that the display has KS0108 and KS0107 controllers that are the same that my display has. I was thinking about your latest picture and it seems the "cursor" is moving through the whole display and writing random data to it. So it should be receiving the commands to move the pointer in it's memory. If I use the T6963C setting with KS0108 it shows some random pixels on the bottom line of the display and isn't moving the memory pointer anywhere as it doesn't receive the right commands.

As the commands are received by the display I would assume the 8 data pins are connected correct. And as both sides of display are accessed the CS pins are probably also working. The first LCDInfo version supporting KS0108 had some problems with the timing of Enable pin and this caused many strange things.

You should try eliminating all interference by using the minimum cable lenght possible and not using the external supply if possible. I once noticed some very strange behaviour when I forgot to connect the ground wire between the display and LPT connector (not sure if it was external supply at the time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:23 

Here's a little test with some additional delays. Not sure if it helps but it's worth trying.

http://www.skippari.net/lcd/forumstuff/ ... t_0.02.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 13:09 

My lcd is those extented temperature range models. I currently take +5V and -5V from external AT supply. My cable legnth is about 160cm. I have noticed that it has some difference when I change those delays. Even tryed it so, that I changed those delays directly from the source code.
What it comes to the interference, some condensators might help. For examp 100nF polyester or other plastic type from +5v to the gnd or maeby somekind coil and capasitor pased filter. I have one diy kit where is used grafick lcd and there is quite alot component's in that lcd supply part.
In that kit the -5V comes from PWM pased power supply and +5V from 7805 regulator.
I still have some problems in pictures. there seems to be some pixels in wrong place.
Meyby I should trye shorter cable. Haven't yet tryed that new test program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 20:16 

computergeekguy wrote:
so ummmmm how much is alot?? i measured the cable again (metric style) and it is 183cm ~ 6ft long is this bad?? other than that i wish that i had a wireless mouse. now i am glad that i don't own one.

Has for the cable that is a lot , the ideal should be less than 100 cm , mine has +/- 80 cm in the teste prototipe , when ready i'm palning to hava a 50 cm cable.

About the wireless mouse was easy to overtake the situation , simple put the receiver away from th cables and it's done no more bother :wink:

Quote:
hey Henri are you sure that your software is written for my display?? i really think that my display has some wierd controller on it which would causing the strange pictures

Has for this one , i don't realy know how to help you , beleave me if you lived here in Portugal i'd help , but are you shure that your display is raly with a KS0108 controler or a compatible , maybe if it is an compatible that may be the problem, mine is an original chip from Samsung .

Has for the external power supply mine will always has to have it , due to the negative voltage of -20 volts and the 20 volts to the LCD backlight , till now that grafic gliches only apear if i plug the power and the plug does not make a perfect contact , some times i have to give it a touch to make a perfect contact , some ohter situation when apaear some ,is when i turn off the PC but this one is rarerely.
Regards and good Luck

Samtech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 21:41 

Well anything is possible but I have looked at the lcd's components and there is 1 x ks0107 and 2 x ks0108 just the same chips that in those displaytechs model and on those controllers is that samsung's logo so it is a ks0108 lcd.
Anyway I'l trye shorter cable tomorrow. Just can't be bother to solder now and just to be sure that there isn't any connection problem in the d-connector. I just solder that also.
That was ready made cable. So it would not supprise me a one bit if there were connection problem. Even tought I checked it with multimeter.
Oh well if I don't get this lcd to work, then I just buy new one. This one didn't cost me a thing anyway.

btw has anybody seen those grafik vacuum displays? I have and those just kick ass! :D

Post subject: It works
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:41 

Well I soldered the lpt cable my self and cut off about half from it. Now all the things displays correctly. :D
Either there was a connection problem or the cable was too long.
Wont buy ready made cables again from my local shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 17:12 

Spark wrote:
btw has anybody seen those grafik vacuum displays? I have and those just kick ass! :D

Hehe , don't make me gelous Iwant one of those !!!! :wink:

And of course congratulations for your LCD to be working , self made cables are almost all the temes te best ones we can have 8)

Samtech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 18:40 

Heh! :D Thaks! If you or anybode else is intrested from those grafik vacuum display things. check from digikey. One minor thing is that those vacuum displays are really expensive. If I remember correctly 128x64 pixels would cost about 170$. There is byteway also all kinds of lcd displays and digikey delivers all over the world.
Heres Noritakes homepage http://www.noritake-elec.com/ for drooling those vacuum displays 8O :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 19:45 

THanks for the link ,i think ill stick fot the normal grafic displays those are realy very expensive !!!!! compared with the price of these KS0108 Displays a have these cost around 30 /40 € so theya are a litle bit cheapper :lol: :lol: 8)

Samtech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 20:23 

Welcome. Yeah those are expensive. I'm probably gonna buy one of those. Altought dont know when.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:21 

Hehehe , lucky you :wink:

For me has i won't bay one of those i inverted my LCD , check out the result :lol:

It's realy pretty , almost looks lika a VDF , and a lot cheaper :lol: 8)

SAmtech

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:38 

Hehe, nice. That looks great. 8)

How did you do it ? I think I know how to do it but was there anything special with this display ?

You should do a little writeup about it to your site. Or you could post it to the hardware forum here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 16:23 

Hey thats cool! :D I have also looked how to invert lcd, but just don't remember anymoore.
Would be really nice if you would post some instructions how to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 20:51 

TIP!! :D
I've the negative voltage for my -20 volt out of the +12volts from the computer.
it's done with a chip LT1054CP.it is working a half year now without any problems.
i will look for a schematic and wil post it here in the next days if possible(found it in a optrex datasheet).

Post subject: CFAG12864BTMIV
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:59 
Hi everyone,.. i'm new here - and new to LCD wiring :)
I just wired my CFAG12864BTMIV using one of the schemes posted in this forum some time ago - the more easy one, and connected pin 19 using a 19ohm resistor to 5v and pin 20 to ground.
now when i turn on my pc the display lights up in blue with some (sometimes more, sometimes less) white lines, which diappear slowly.

and acutally thats all it does - i installed the port95.net, got the vbl50 or however its called and tried lcd_info, the ks1080 test prog and some prog from a guy called markusm (i think) - but the display doesnt do anything :(
i'm using win xp, parallel port is set to epp

acutally i'm pretty sure the wiring is correct, checked all connections and so on,.. what did i do wrong?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next