LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 0:37 

Hey there, i was going to pick up a PG240128LRF-ATA-B - http://www.powertipusa.com/pdf/pg240128a.pdf , but before i do just wanted a more knowledgable opinion of this display, if i am reading the info correctly this baby needs 5v, 12v and depending on the leds 3.5v-4.2v to run, seems too easy lol, so any help would be greatly appriciated. :D
cheers
minging

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:05 

You're lucky. Not a lot of LCDs have negative voltage generators on them. I sure wish mine did.

You don't need +12v, just +5v for everything.

Only thing you're missing is a potentiometer for contrast adjustment. Typically, the pot is placed in series between the negative voltage and ground, while the wiper (middle) terminal. I know for my LCD, also T6963C based, it calls for a 5k resistor, a 5-10k, then another 5k resistor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 15:10 

The pinout seems to match this display:
http://zerver.student.utwente.nl/schijf ... c.php?t=22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 16:06 

Cheers guys, just printed that same pic Henry, but getting it from you eases my initial fears that this was going too easy lol, somethings got to go wrong lol, but this looks fairly easy when compared to some threads on lcds i have read, just one question, what is c1/ 100nF and do i really have to have a reset switch? couldn' t i get away with just putting a switch on the 5v line and reset the display that way ?
And if anyone out there is after a lcd like this, the guy selling them has more and they are pretty cheap.
Thanks again guys, and it would seem i have caught the lcd bug hehe
minging

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 17:47 

C1 / R1 combination is there to give a power on reset for the display. You don't absolutely need it but it doesn't hurt either. It's possible to just tie the RESET pin to +5V also leaving out the cap, resistor and switch.
Some modules have similar power on reset circuit on the pcb too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:29 

Hey everyone hope you are all well, finally got around to wiring this lcd, lazy sod i know, but i am having a little difficulty wiring the b/light, it needs 4.2volt at 900ma, anyone help me out, i was wanting to vary the brightness but would settle for it just being on or off, and be gentle i am still new at this.
Thanks for your help
minging

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 22:02 

For calculating the correct resistor value you can use for example the bit-tech led calculator http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/
Also it might not be that bad idea to also study some basic theory behind the calculations.

Filling the calculator values with 5v, 4.2v and 900mA gives about 1 Ohm for the resistor value. So you could find a resistor with value of at least 1 Ohm. To lower the power dissipation in the backlight leds you could also use slightly larger resistor.
Also keep in mind the power dissipation in the resistor so you want to take something else than a basic 1/4W resistor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 14:41 

cheers Henry, finally got them sums to make sense, asking coorz helped too lol,anyways got my 1watt 1ohm resistor and the backlight looks sweet, i will post a few pics when i can find me cam hehe.
Thanks again guys.
minging