LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:49 

Hi everyone , I'm looking for a schematic to connect an old nokia 918 lcd to my pc, does anyone know how can i do that ? it has 16 pins and a chip that says this:
NJU6428LF
JRC A2
A8023D
If there isn't a schematic , a datasheet could be fine too.
I was thinking about connecting it to the parallel port, like the most common lcd's with backlight, that have 16 pins, and the last two are for backlight controlling, brigthness controlling or something like that, and the connection is an 8 bit with the parallel port.
If anyone knows how can i do that, or could give me a help i would appreciate it very much !

Thanks in advance !

P.D.: sorry about my english, is not my first language :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:48 

Ok, here's the first hits google gives for NJU6428:
http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/fe/fe06009.pdf
http://www.njr.co.jp/e08/lcd_6428_29_69_e.html

Something to notice is that the operating voltage is 2.4 - 3.6V so it doesn't go straight to 5V systems.

A quick glance over the datasheet seems to suggest that the controller could be compatible with the HD44780 instruction set. It has the 8 bit databus DB0-DB7, E, RS, R/W, RESET lines and the basic commands seem to be same as for HD44780. And even if it's not compatible, writing software for it should be no problem as the commands are in the datasheet.

What you would need now is the pinout for the display connector. Depending of what package the chip uses you might be able to trace the pins from the NJU6428 chip to the connector. If it's using the "Bumped Chip" package like the newer displays this might be slightly difficult. ;)
Datasheet has pictures and pin configurations of different packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:44 

Thank you very much ! that's what i was looking for :D
Now i only have to find out the pinout for the display, and isn't going to be so difficult because the package is the same one in the datasheet, i don't know the name, but is not the "Bumped Chip" :)

Again, thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 14:50 

Good luck finding the correct pinout. If you haven't already you might want to check this guide by Zotty for some pointers: http://liquid-mp3.schijf.org/guides/wiring/wiring.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 23:17 

Well, i think i'm ready to make a test :), i follow the guide of Zotty and i have found the most of pins (not all, but the necessary).
The question now is: where i can found the 2.4 to 3.6 necessary volts ?
I was thinking in the CR2032 battery but i don't know if that's a good idea.
Do you have another idea ?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 0:18 

ATX connector has a few 3.3v lines. If you have a typical supply (as in the manufacturer didn't get cute with color choice), then they're orange. At the very least, they'll be pins 1, 2, and 11 (pin 1 is bottom left pin, looking at the connector, locking tab pointed up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 15:48 

I recommend using some regulator for that. For example LP2950 is one that I've used but there are many others too.

Also you should use some level converter for the data lines too as LPT port gives 5V and the levels to the display shouldn't be more than the display operating voltage. 74LCX245 or 74LVC245 is one possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:09 

Hi -

tuxuy, I was wondering if you figured out the pin locations for the 918 lcd? I have an old 918+ phone that I want to cannibalize into other components and can't find a datasheet or schematic for the controller.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

SARK