LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:29 

I have been reading and searching a lot of these forums and am unable to find the information that I am looking for. I have an Apple Network Server ( http://www.shiner.info/gallery/Apple-Ne ... m_ans_lcd2 ) That photo was an ANS running the display. It has an LCD panel part number HC20401. I have the schematics as found here. http://www.hylcd.com/english/products/p ... 2.asp?id=6. I cannot read the text in the schematic. Maybe some of you experts know this pinout and LCD. It is a 20 x 4 character panel. I am modding my ANS to run Intel stuff instead of Apple. I would REALLY like to use this panel as it is stock and free. USB interface would be preferred if I could. Anyone know how I can run this and if there are drivers available for LCDinfo?? Any help from the experts here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 

What do you mean 'can't read the text', click on it!
Looks like standard HD44780 pin layout with EL backlight, so should be usable with most LCD apps including LCDinfo. Give it a go.
(Unless it's not HD44780 compatible, but there's no more info...)

If you want USB you'll need to buy an USB backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 21:56 

I tried to read all of the threads I could find that detailed the LCD connection process so I wasn't asking noob questions but I guess the noob question is inevitable. I don't know the standard hd44780 pinout and I have no idea how to interface it with my PC at the moment. I am experienced in electronics (5 years US Navy on aerial jamming equipment) but have no clue how to integrate this LCD. I will search for HD44780 compatible displays. I will also search for backpacks in this forum. If you have more cut and dry 'noob' friendly information I would be grateful. However, I know that most of you have work and things to do and don't have time to guide me through the whole process. Any help from anyone in here would be totally appreciated. Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:05 

Don't worry we're here to help.
http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/circuits.htm
for the most popular wiring scheme to LPT. You can ignore the backlight part as yours (i assume) has an EL backlight which requires a mini-inverter.
Take a look at LCDSmartie too, very powerful for character LCD's.
LCDinfo can do character LCD's too, but it's more targeted at graphical LCD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:09 

SWEET!! I think thats exactly what I need. WOW! Now on to search for the backpack stuff and I am gonna get this running on USB. Thanks for a jumpstart in the right direction. I will ask more questions when I get to the point of needing help with the LCDinfo software. I hope I can build a clean way to get connected without to much wire outside the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 22:56 

About the USB backpack; though i know they can be bought specific for HD44780, i cannot tell you which LCD apps support the backpack. That you'll need to figure out yourself. LCDInfo does not support the USB backpacks AFAIK.
Stick to LPT and you'll have loads of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 0:23 

OK, I'll get creative with the lpt connector to make it look as best I can. Thanks for your great help up to now.

Scott
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:54 

I followed the wiring diagram in the link above... however, I don't know what an EL backlight is... I did not use an inverter and with 5vdc the back light is on. I have no display though. Did not use potentiometers at all... Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 13:20 

I had this same problem with mine, did you tie the contrast to GND or 5v?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 13:23 

Always use a pot for the contrast control, if not you won't see if it's working or not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:58 

:oops: I have never used a pot on my lcds, and I have a lot of them. I don't mean to be rude, but I think the contrast is perfect on a hd44780 lcd without the pot. I will probably use one when I get my first graphic lcd, but up until now, I haven't really needed it. Scott, make sure you tie it to a pot or GND. If you double check the wiring and if you aren't getting 1 black line for a 2 line display; or 2 black lines for a 4 line display then its time to start questioning the lcd. Check here for an easier guide.

-penjuin