LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Planar EL help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:40 

Hey there folks. I recently picked up some Planar EL panels at the local Electronics surplus shop and I was wondering if you folks can help me breath life into these puppies. I got a pair of EL640.200-SK screens, an EL640.480-AF1 and a mystery Planar screen that is as wide as the EL640.200-SK but twice as tall. It has a sticker on it that says PCE116241 on it with a bar code above it. All of them are factory pulls with minor cosmetic blemishes. I want to use at least one of these panels in my new watercooled system and probubly just sell off the rest. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! :)

BTW...here are some pictures...

EL640.480-AF1 and EL640.200.SK

Mystery EL panel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:20 

Nice stuff!
The 640x200-SK can be controlled by an external SED1335 board.

The 640x480-AF1, must be a nice one as it actually looks a lot smaller than the 640x200-SK, should have a nice dot pitch, but needs a controller that none of the LCD apps support.

The mystery one should be a 640x400, if you're lucky you can hook it to the VFC connector (i have a 640x400 too on the VFC, sucks), but looking at it's connector i guess it won't. Best bet would be checking all 640x400 PDF's and see if any of the board components layout match yours.
Could also be a one off demo-board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:37 

Hey there coors. I spoke to you a few months ago over on bit-tech about another Planar screen I got. Anyways, the larger screen is definatly not a one-off demo piece. There were easily about a dozen more sitting there on the racks along with quite a few more of the other ones I picked up. Anyways, what SED1335 controller do you recommend for the EL640.200-SK? Would that connect to a serial port, and what kind of power would I need for these to run properly? I'm sorry about all the questions, I'm such a noob with this kinda stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 13:22 

I think that EL640.200-SK would probably be your best option to use with current software. But the controller to recommend is something I don't know yet. Just connecting a SED1335 to parallel port to drive this display might end up being almost waste of time. But before I really know what to recommend I should do some testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:16 

Lemme guess, Wacky Willy's Surplus? :D
As Henri said a SED1335 board would be capable of driving the 640x200 with most established LCD apps. The board i use is from MPI, but i wouldn't advise you to get that one as i already know the result will be horrible.
Perhaps Henri's SED board would fare better, we'll have to wait till Henri has time to test (yes we gots those SK's too :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:18 

LOL...yeppers. Good old Wacky Willy's. I love just roaming around that place. Well, I guess I shall just have to wait until Henri gets on the ball with the testing. I'm eager to hear the results! Thanks again guys. :)

BTW...any questimate as to when Henri is gonna have this SED board tested and completed? I'm just really anxious as I am featuring my Sun Microsystems server case mod at PDXLAN 4.05 on March 18th and I really want this display inside the case. Might drum up some interest amongst other people at the LAN about the SED board and LCDInfo. Just a thought. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 14:24 

How much did you end up paying for this "lot" of Planar's? Does this place have a website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 17:02 

Well, believe it or not I picked up the screens for only $3.00 each. Planar's corporate office is only about 10 miles from where I live and Wacky Willys got these screens from them because Planar was clearing out a lot of old screens from their warehouse. As for where I got the screens, well they do have a website but its not really much. www.wackywillys.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 17:47 

$3 bucks each.... :wink:
Let me know if you ever venture down that way again. Maybe I could talk you into grabbing a couple for me as well... :D
PM me if that's a possibility.

jgueydan@earthlink.net

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 19:53 

autobot wrote:
Well, believe it or not I picked up the screens for only $3.00 each. Planar's corporate office is only about 10 miles from where I live and Wacky Willys got these screens from them because Planar was clearing out a lot of old screens from their warehouse.

That is so UNFAIR :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 21:49 

Coorz....come on now, you know I wouldn't leave you out :wink:
Maybe, if Autobot is willing, I could get the LCD's to me, and then send some over to you and Henri as well :D

Well Autobot....what do ya' say? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 0:15 

Well, I can make a trip over Friday and see what they have left. Last time I went there the screens had been purdy picked through and mostly the only ones left had dead pixels and scratches on the glass. Kinda funny, one of the ones I got actually had a sticker on it that said "DO NOT REJECT" written in bold lettering. Oopsy, I guess this one slipped though someones fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:22 

One~Zero wrote:
Coorz....come on now, you know I wouldn't leave you out :wink:
Maybe, if Autobot is willing, I could get the LCD's to me, and then send some over to you and Henri as well :D

My friend :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 23:41 

Oh my... I am so jealous...

Autobot.. buddy... pal.. old friend. ;) If you are getting more of these... Please concider your friend in Australia too. ;) Oh hi by the way, I'm Syridian. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 0:22 

Syridian wrote:
Oh my... I am so jealous...

Autobot.. buddy... pal.. old friend. ;) If you are getting more of these... Please concider your friend in Australia too. ;) Oh hi by the way, I'm Syridian. ;)

:lol:
Autobot, no need to grab all Planars in sight, not all are interesting. If you need any guidance we're here to help ya out.