LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:02 

I recently purchased the above 240x128 lcd. I plan to purchase http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store as my neg. volt generator for contrast (-14v). The LCD has a white ccfl cathode backlight. I have a copy of Spock's T6963c wiring diagram from the LCD Studio forum (yea yea yea, I know) and I can wire the lcd, but I have a few picky questions so as I dont blow up the lcd. Pinout is :

1-Frame Gnd
2-Gnd(0v)
3-Vdd (+5v)
4-Vee (-14v)
5-/WR (write enable, active low)
6-/RD (read enable, active low)
7-/CD (chip enable,clock,active low)
8-C/D (command data)
9-NC
10-/RST
11-DB0
12-DB1
13-DB2
14-DB3
15-DB4
16-DB5
17-DB6
18-DB7
19-FS (Font select)
20-RV(invert pixel, 0=normal 1=inverted)

Questions:

1. If I dont want to put a reset switch on the LCD, what do I do with the wire from Pin 10?
2. The neg. volt generator, where do I put that? Between power connector and the 10kPot? Do I even have to have this?
3. The CCFL isnt labled +v and gnd. It has one wire from top, one from bottom and a 2 pin female connector. How do I know which one to wire +v and which one to wire gnd to?
4. Do I need any type of capicators or resistors?
5. My pinout above and Spocks t6963 diagram have different identifiers, and I need to know which identifiers on my pinout = the ones on Spocks.

If someone can please help me, I can do this. I am not an electrical expert, but I do have some electrical experience. I have a powertip 240x128 running now (thanks again Mingingbollock), but it was wired when I got it, so this will be my first wiring job and I dont want to blow it up. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:26 

lodrazor wrote:
I recently purchased the above 240x128 lcd. I plan to purchase http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store as my neg. volt generator for contrast (-14v). The LCD has a white ccfl cathode backlight. I have a copy of Spock's T6963c wiring diagram from the LCD Studio forum (yea yea yea, I know) and I can wire the lcd, but I have a few picky questions so as I dont blow up the lcd. Pinout is :

1-Frame Gnd
2-Gnd(0v)
3-Vdd (+5v)
4-Vee (-14v)---- center wiper from pot/neg voltage
5-/WR (write enable, active low) ------------------- 16
6-/RD (read enable, active low) --------------------14
7-/CD (chip enable,clock,active low) ---------------1
8-C/D (command data) ------------------------------17
9-NC
10-/RST
11-DB0 ------------------------------------------------2
12-DB1 ------------------------------------------------3
13-DB2 ------------------------------------------------4
14-DB3 ------------------------------------------------5
15-DB4 ------------------------------------------------6
16-DB5 ------------------------------------------------7
17-DB6 ------------------------------------------------8
18-DB7 ------------------------------------------------9
19-FS (Font select) --- high 5vts/low grd for the diff text sizes 8x8 and 6x8
20-RV(invert pixel, 0=normal 1=inverted)

Questions:

1. If I dont want to put a reset switch on the LCD, what do I do with the wire from Pin 10?
2. The neg. volt generator, where do I put that? Between power connector and the 10kPot? Do I even have to have this?
3. The CCFL isnt labled +v and gnd. It has one wire from top, one from bottom and a 2 pin female connector. How do I know which one to wire +v and which one to wire gnd to?
4. Do I need any type of capicators or resistors?
5. My pinout above and Spocks t6963 diagram have different identifiers, and I need to know which identifiers on my pinout = the ones on Spocks.

If someone can please help me, I can do this. I am not an electrical expert, but I do have some electrical experience. I have a powertip 240x128 running now (thanks again Mingingbollock), but it was wired when I got it, so this will be my first wiring job and I dont want to blow it up. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.

1.You may need to be tied high/5vts, or low/grd, or nothing at all , you will have to guess :D try nothing then grd.
2, output from neg voltage genny,in one leg of a 10k pot, center wiper going to lcd, 3rd leg of pot to grd, is what i would do.
3.CCFL polarity dont matter.. :D
4.Nope, unless you need it for the reset but prob note
5. see above for PPort pinout
Your datasheet will let you know whats needed for the reset/ font /reverse image if you get it.
So are these the lcd i saw last wk for $22 ? hope you bought a box full mate they were a bargin.
think thats right 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 18:57 

1. /RST means active low. That means for normal operation it should be tied to +5
2. as ming said. You need it as without contrast control you'won't see anything, perhaps very vaguely.
3. as ming said.
4. advisable but not necessary
5. http://liquid-mp3.schijf.org/schematics ... -24128.gif
might be more clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 19:00 

coorz wrote:
1. /RST means active low. That means for normal operation it should be tied to +5
2. as ming said. You need it as without contrast control you'won't see anything, perhaps very vaguely.
3. as ming said.
4. advisable but not necessary
5. http://liquid-mp3.schijf.org/schematics ... -24128.gif
might be more clear.

So how many out of 5 did i score ? :D
Hows things mate..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 19:05 

Trev,

You scored 5 of 5, lololol. Thanks for the help, you too Coorz, greatly appreciated. Got 5 of these for $20 apiece, plus 2 Optrex 240x128 green led backlight. Will let ya know how all goes when parts come in, thanks again guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 19:47 

clarification please Trev and/or Coorz:

negagive voltage. In my first post above, I found a dc-dc neg. volt generator, but it pulls 400ma, and that I think is too much. Can I use a 10k pot AS the neg. volt generator, or do I have to have a means to get the neg. voltage, then control it up/down with the pot?? Does this make sense?? Im sorry if this seems like a stupid queston, but I cannot use the one from the link above, and I do not have the electrical knowledge to make one, so I think I'm sort of stuck with how to get the -11v I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 20:27 

lodrazor wrote:
clarification please Trev and/or Coorz:

negagive voltage. In my first post above, I found a dc-dc neg. volt generator, but it pulls 400ma, and that I think is too much. Can I use a 10k pot AS the neg. volt generator, or do I have to have a means to get the neg. voltage, then control it up/down with the pot?? Does this make sense?? Im sorry if this seems like a stupid queston, but I cannot use the one from the link above, and I do not have the electrical knowledge to make one, so I think I'm sort of stuck with how to get the -11v I need.

You will need a neg voltage generator, that one in the link seems ok, bit of a clart on with all those caps and resistors, but it would do the job, 400ma too much mate ? no it will be ok , thats nothing to a 5volt rail in a pc.
The pot is to vary the negative voltage, thus the contrast .
You should be able to find a enclosed dc/dc transformer if you look about, i got one over here , 5volts in, -15volts out , cost me £10 though , about the cost of the lcd you are playing with :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 23:41 

Thanks Trev, after MUCH reading, i found out just what you posted. My powertip has a neg. volt gen onboard, this Wintek does not, so I was confused. I have searched high and low for a dang dc/dc converter that will use 5v input -12 or so output except for the one at allelectronics, and 10 pounds stirling is a little expensive, lololololol, but I may have to take you up on it. There are so many schemes for neg. volt gens in this forum and others, but I dont know how to make them. I wish some kind soul with electriconics knowledge could make me about 3, I would gladly pay. But anyway, thanks for the help, I may elect to purchase the one on allelectronics along with the myriad of caps and rests and try to make it work. To be honest, I am kicking myself for purchasing these lcds without checking to see if they had neg. volt gens onboard, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 23:34 

Sorry to ressurect such an old thread. I recently bought a WM G2412A panel on ebay for £5 and thought I had a bargin, until I discovered it came without cables and the seller knew nothing about it. I think he just bought a job lot and is shifting them for what he can get. He sent me details on how to connect up a HD44780 controller chip based character screen, which fortunatly I spotted was wrong

So after much googlefu I stumbled on this site and hope you can help me out.
I've never actually fitted a panel like this, I've been given an old centronics cable by my supplier (who intially told me I just swapped that with the ribbon cable :roll: ) so need to basically get someone to talk me through the entire process if you can? I've no real electronics knowledge beyond being able to solder cables to pins, so lets assume the dumbass know's nothing kind of explinations would be best :

Any help at all would be most appreciated, feel free to PM me or drop me a line at brian@bbeuken.freeserve.co.uk

thanks

Brian