LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 16:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 0:09 

Hi,

I am new to this Forum and hope I can get some answers.
I became from a Friend a Display named TLX-1741-C3M from Thosiba.
I have browsed the net from Info about this and how to connect this to my PC. I am happy to found this Forum an the Software from henry.

The PDF Datasheet looks like the TL-711-A LCD and I have wired it like your scheme "Connecting Toshiba TLX-711A display to LPT port
". Only the Contrast Voltage needed seems to be -15 V.

Now my Questions, sorry but I dont know many about LCDs ;-) :

1. At this time I havent the - 15 Volt Contrast Voltage
Can I test the Display without this Voltage if It Works? Pherhaps take -12 Volt from the ATX Power Cable? Or only with Software to check the correct wireing?

2. At this time I have no 100Volt for the Display lightning, can I see if the Display works when I use a strong Ligthsource from the Front?

Sorry for my bad english and my pherhaps silly Questions.

Thanks in Advance, Jochen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:40 
Your questions are not silly. We all had to learn about LCD's from somewhere, and I too had many of the same questions.

Quote:
Can I test the Display without this Voltage if It Works? Pherhaps take -12 Volt from the ATX Power Cable? Or only with Software to check the correct wireing?

I don't think that will work. :( The problem with the contrast is that it works over a very narrow range. A -12 volt for example may be completely dark at -11.5v and totally white at -12.5v. I would be surprised is you see anything at -12v if the specs say -15v. The best option for you, seeing as the computer PSU has no -15v is to make your own. Try this http://www.skippari.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19 but use a -15v regulator (e.g. LM7915) and a transformer that has 15vac tail. Make sure you use a suitable potentiometer (variable resistor) that allows a small change in the voltage. Even with nothing on the display, adjusting the resistor you will soon see when you have the right volatge as the screen will slowly change from all black to all white as you change the resistance.

Quote:
2. At this time I have no 100Volt for the Display lightning, can I see if the Display works when I use a strong Ligthsource from the Front?

Well in theory you could put the light behind the LCD, but this is not possible usually as the LCD is mounted on a board. But sometimes you can get a faint view of what is being displayed by using a light from the front. But this is even less likely with the wrong contrast voltage. I presume you have CCF back lighting and need an inverter.

Sorry about all the bad news but trying to get it to work is half the fun. :wink:

Good luck, Marty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:35 

Quote:
Sorry about all the bad news but trying to get it to work is half the fun. :wink:

Good luck, Marty.

Thanks for the answer.
I donts think thats bad news :wink: . Since it should generally work, i go to our electronik dealer und buy the components.

Thanks a lot, Jochen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:03 

:cry: Bad Luck, I have shot up my Display. Have used a +12V Contrast Voltage.... the Display from a Friend works correct, with the same wires and -12V Contrast.

Knows anybody which Chip can be damaged? The name of the Display is TLX-1741-C3M.

Good night, Jochen