LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 13:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Looking for a datasheet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 23:50 

I'm looking for the datasheet for a NEC PD640G400BA LCD [ VFD? ] display.

It's about one foot by half-a-foot, comes with [ what I assume to be ] a powersupply with a red wire, a black wire and a blue wire [ I'm thinking 5v, 12v and (-) ] and a 12 pin connecter that hooks it up to the display panel.

comming off of the display is a 20pin ribbon cable.

The one chip, that I assume to be the controller, has the following info printed on itself;

| 8605 |
|____________|

It has pins on all sides.

ANY help on identifying this board is much appreciated.

[ silkscreened on the board ]
NEC PD640G400BA-BA
151-880389(151-882629)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 

Lets see what NEC has to give me.
-------------------------------------------------------
techsupport@necdisplay.com
Unknown NEC LCD

Good day.

I recently aquired a NEC display and was curious if I could have the datasheet for it-- the 'Technical Library' section on the NEC Display website have no information.

The number that's printed on the back of the panel is as follows;
NEC PD640G400BA-BA
151-880389(151 -882629)

What I'm most interested in is a pinout of the 20-wire connector that comes out from the panel.

Any documentation reguarding this device is most appreciated. I'm just a student looking to do something fun.

Many thanks in advance.

Stand out from the crowd...
-Philip ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 22:17 

Email people think that it's a complete monitor I'm looking for, even though I'm specifying it's a PCB... I thought that I'd better move on.

So I called in and all I'm getting is that they don't sell schematics nor give out any information because it's proprietary.

This is not fun.

Anyone? Any speculations?

Post subject: 56K WARNING!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:28 

I got around to taking some photos.

This is the screen.

That's the back of the unit.

That's, what I think is, the power supply removed [ the bag says it's an "LCD screen with driver"... but it's lookin' like a VFD ].

Blurry closeup with the 20 pin connector that I've gotta adapt to the LPT port.

Back of the panel with the power supply removed.

Close up of the centre area-- on the left is the 12-pin connector that comes from the power supply as well as the model/serial/part numbers.

Power supply unit.

Underside of the unit. Lower right of the board, from top to bottom, are the black, red, and blue connections. Black looks like it's ground.

Topside with the heatsink lifted up.

Topside with the heatsink lifted up and looking under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:26 

d-frag-r wrote:
is that they don't sell schematics nor give out any information because it's proprietary.

Contact them posing as a non-affiliated electronic repairman, statingthat you have a faulty piece of equipment, using that display, and you need to know the pinout of the system so as to backtrace the problem?

Wild guesss that might work.

-=DD32=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 22:31 

DD32 wrote:
Contact them posing as a non-affiliated electronic repairman, statingthat you have a faulty piece of equipment, using that display, and you need to know the pinout of the system so as to backtrace the problem?

Blast! Shot down... they said for me to send it to them and they'd take care of fixing it.

Thanks for the idea, tho.

Anyone else? Anything? The board cost me $10 and I could prolly go out and get another one if I blow this one... I haven't been able to find any scematics about how to hook up a VFD... and what voltages sound reasonable to hook the power supply up to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 23:24 

Doesn't look like VFD to me. More like gas plasma or EL.
Whithout datasheet it's gonna be a very hard yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 

coorz wrote:
Doesn't look like VFD to me. More like gas plasma or EL.
Whithout datasheet it's gonna be a very hard yes.

hm... That's not exactly what I wanted to hear...

... alright, it's made of glass... and I'm assuming that EL needs less power than a plasma... so what's the standard running voltage for an EL display-- from my understandings, plasma requires more power... and I don't want to fry the thing if, by chance, it is an EL

... Along that train of thought... it's made of glass... COULD it explode [ shards of glass everywhere isn't my thing ]?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:25 

Just wear a pair of glasses or some kind of face shield when you power it up, exploding glass is awesome (as long as it doesn't end up in your eye)!

I'm heading out to a couple of electronic places this weekend, I will see if any of them have any information on this display.

Whats that number you have for NEC? Perhaps I may catch them on a good day and they will cough up the information...? Its worth a shot any ways.

If you get real desperate, you could always trace back the PCB traces and make some kind of pinout assumption from that.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:19 

LiquidCrystalDecay wrote:
Just wear a pair of glasses or some kind of face shield when you power it up, exploding glass is awesome (as long as it doesn't end up in your eye)!

haha, Thanks for the advice.

I'm heading out to a couple of electronic places this weekend, I will see if any of them have any information on this display.

That would rock.

Whats that number you have for NEC? Perhaps I may catch them on a good day and they will cough up the information...? Its worth a shot any ways.

This is their 'technical' phone number, in America; +1 800-366-9782

... the lady was rather short with me... like I was out for all their secrets :/

If you get real desperate, you could always trace back the PCB traces and make some kind of pinout assumption from that.

Suprisingly enough, this is my next step... but so far searching for individual components hasen't yielded many results.

Will push on.

Cheers.

P.S. Well, that's odd... on NEC's website there's a page with document listings [ http://www.necel.com/en/support/document.html ]... I remember not being able to find a document about the display, but I don't remember the option being greyed out... :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 18:27 

Alright, I think I broke this case [ not the panel, don't worry ]. I was just messin' around on NECs site and I came accross a VFD IC that matches the packaging [ it was the only one with a 52 pin configuration ], so I went on a hunt and came accross this datasheet;
http://pdf.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p ... 16311.html

One thing that I'm noticing is that the chip is meant to drive a 12 x 4 display and there are 24 other chips floating around. Would it be plausable that the IC I've got uses two outputs to send a signal to a slave IC that then deecodes the information for their segment of the overall display?

Now, it says that it's capable of serial communication-- is it just a simple matter of tracing which pins on the IC go to what pin on the header, and wiring it all up?

This is exciting... I'll have to dig up my soldering stuff soon [ everything's in boxes 'cause we're reno'ing-- :S ].

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 14:21 

I got a display similar to this one, except it's a 512x342 board... Registration is PD512G342AA-AA. Does anyone have the datasheet for this thingey? Did the topicstarter ever find more about these units?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 

I have recently come across these displays at Gateway Electronics. I went ahead and picked a few up (they were only $5). However, the closest thing to evidence that these things even exist is this forum topic. Has anybody located any information on these yet? I'd be highly appreciative of anybody who could point me in a semi-correct direction.