LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 18:41 

Hell, i dont know if this is just going to be another "Buy a $(overpriced) LCD controller", But, i did a little resurch and found out, if you have a lappy that one just riped out the LCD form, there is a controller chip on the mobo that one can use for the controlling, Or use a "feature" connection on old vid cards to control the LCD, ir slice it into the ISA slot, or use thge DVI output on the newer cards (or what ever video cards that had them)...

But all i have is a simple Sharp LM64P72 640x480 monocrome LCD form a Intel 386 laptop...
If anyone can give me a pointer on what to do, i dont what to spend anymore then $100 (none of it if posible) or ill just ebay me a 15" TFT colour LCD (and if i even have the mony for That :| )

so anything, or is this just going to be the catalyst to a sticky for "Lappy LCDs = not for the poor, Expencive controller buy"... :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 

Find the datasheet, then you'll know what you need; a dedicated lcd controller or the VFC method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:40 

theres the boo boo about that, were the hell can i get the datasheet? google is a bum for doing that, all i get is "Partminer" or somthing random like that, if you do know, or know the site to, how to use the feature connection on a video card i think will be the way...

And what is this VFC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 14:37 

The VFC is the VESA FEATURE CONNECTOR, like you said;
"use a "feature" connection on old vid cards to control the LCD"

When i get back from holidays next week i'll have a look if i have that datasheet, sounds very familiar to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 18:05 

:lol: me stupid, now i know...
... and thanks for looking to; on this screen the connection to the inverter (its just used as a bridge off the mobo) has 15 pins, i freacked out thinking it might be one that i could use on the LPT... ether i use it like that, or find some program that will alow me to control a system (mainly winamp and show system specs) via the serial and be able to run on the 386 O.o
feel free to ask for more infor if needed (photos, codes, etc, etc.)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:23 

You can forget about using LCDinfo or any other LCD app, as they won't be able to control it. As that LCD will (if you ever manage to hook it up) basically become a second monitor, apps like Samurize will do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:04 

yeah, that makes sence, (when i get arond to it ill get me a 4 x 40 character LCD for that such thing) all i need is the pinouts... now do do some resurch on some of the video cards that i have here here (heaps of S3s and sis cards here) that have the posibly required pinouts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:38 

Hmm, i dont know, but i came across this in google RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc. its the closest thing to what my LCD is... so now all i need is the VFC pinout :| ( or maybe ill be a git and slap it to my DVI output on my Dead AMD system)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:10 

I got some 4x40 character LCD's left if you're interested.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rccheng/Densitron/DSCN3268.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:40 

need money 1st, 'prolly the postage from there to aussie will cost the same amout as getting one from here (once i find a store that is :| )...
.. but it think ill be content when i get this other screen working, i might be nuff' space to get winamp in and some system info....

or ill just hunt out one of them EL screens that you have :mrgreen:

... im guessing im on the right track on this little project?