LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LCD Screen goggles...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 21:46 

This is probably off topic... but I am a big industrial scene clubgoer, and one of the things i like to do is make custom clubwear. For instance, i attached a pic of some goggles i made out of hard drive parts...

This is kind of the idea im going for with LCD goggles..

The idea is to take goggles with square instead of round holes, mount 2 lcd screens in them (probably have to have a wire going down your neck into a pocket with power source and circuitry) and basically have the goggles constantly loop a video, probably from some type of smart media storage.

Is this doable? I have no idea where to start considering i have never messed with LCD's yet, but i am pretty savvy when it comes to electronics..

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 20:36 

You're pretty much looking at something that's been around for a while, which is the virtual reality glasses. You can find Koplin displays on Ebay fairly cheap. These are tiny LCD screens (monochrome though) that were used in some type of LCD-goggle type display. These are just the screens though and you'd still have to find out how to interface them. Might be a good place to start though. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 13:57 

I'm not really familiar of all the options there are for small displays like these. I know I have seen some but don't remember well enough.

You might be able to find some small video displays that would come with the driving hardware too. Maybe some evaluation kits etc. But if you find a package like this you should probably be prepared to pay quite a lot.

Some of the mobile phone displays might do what you want in the size you need. As an example I have a 2" 320x240 18bit color TFT screen in my phone. With that kind resolution you are able to play pretty good quality video.
If I'm not totally mistaken I might have seen Mouser selling a similar screen a while ago. Then the problem is driving this. Playing a video with this resolution takes some power. Maybe look into a 400MHz XScale or similar processor. And then to make this a wearable you want everything to be quite small. Gumstix or one of the other small modules might be worth looking into. In fact now that I think of it, if you go with Linux as the OS for this, most of the software components probably already exist. So it would just take some integration to put everything together.
Would it be enough if both screens played the same video ?

Just that if you calculate some of the costs you are paying over $300 for the components alone + other costs to put the hardware together. Sounds like a fun project so if this cost is not a problem and you think you are familiar enough with this kind things to be able to do it, just go for it. :)

Maybe if lower quality video than what I had in mind would be enough you might be able to find some cheaper hardware too.