LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 18:12 

Having found this forum, I remembered how much I enjoyed getting the character based LCD working and hunted around the work room for some old LCD's. Sure enough I found a few. :lol:

I'd be delighted if someone could offer any information on these, I have tried looking for data myself, but I'm not an expert in this field and have been unsucessful so far.

I'll try to provide as much info as possible for each screen.

Screen 1
This is from a telephone, of sorts, an Amstrad e-mailer phone. The screen is a very nice one, backlit and if I recall correctly, its 640x320 resolution. Inside the case is the glass, connected to two circuit panels. The top one has three unmarked chips. The left one has the cable connector with 14 pins and a chip labeled: LA6324N

It seems to be an Hitachi unit SP14H002-ZZA (rev C) and here's a picture:

Screen 2
Possibly a simpler screen this one, it's character based, 8x20. Chips on the back are M50530, M50521 and two M50524, there are 5 more smaller chips: TA 223 75324F, 74hc365, 74hc75, 74hc373, 74hc373. The screen has 12 buttons on the front also. IT's connector block is 20 pins

Screen 3
This is the BIG one! Taken from an old Alcatel office telephone console its about 10 inches wide! The connection to the screen is via a 14 pin cable. It's backlit with an inverter board and has the following chips: 8x M5299B, 3x M5298, SKA324D, LM358, 6565070 9511

This is a stunning display that I would love to utilise, here's the pic:

Any help on any of these screens would be appreciated. Even if it's along the lines of "That screen cannot ever be used with a PC" at least I can throw it away then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 22:58 

This is what I found with quick google search:

http://www.eio.com/public/lcd.2003/1614.html
Quote:
The screen is 480x320 and made y Hitachi, model is SP14H002-ZZA and there is no data on hitachi web pages.

http://www.imagin8or.co.uk/mystrad.html
Quote:
Talking of the screen: I haven't opened up the display enclosure yet, as I already knew the screen used. I'll quote myself: "SP14H002-ZZA Hitachi/Renesas item. The Renesas LCD numbering explanation tells me: S = Super Twisted Nematic Graphic LCD, P = Monochrome with backlight, 14 = 14cm diagonal (5.5" ish), H = half vga, ie between 320x240 and 480x320, 002 = serial number, ZZA = 'options'. Now quite what 'options' have been chosen it doesn't say. But it's a start at least." I don't quite understand the LVDS situation, but it's possible it's an LVDS connector. In which case I'd need to wait months for Amstrad to provide the LVDS version of the Nehemiah board (M10000), or find some sort of mini-PCI board that will do the job.

I know SP14Q002 is a 320x240 display without controller but I'm not sure if SP14H002 is anything close.
http://www.data-modul.de/upload/display ... 002-A1.pdf

For M50530 google gives something:
http://www.google.com/search?q=M50530

The big screen seems to need a controller.

I think all these screens could be used but it requires some searching and reading. You might not find datasheets for the displays but datasheets for chips often can be found and then by tracking the pins some kind pinout can be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:37 

I was hoping to be able to jack them right into the parallel port with no extra hardware between them. Especially the large one at the bottom. But still, many thanks for your help. Perhaps someone with the same screen has already got one working and may stumble across this thread one day!

I have experience in electronics and circuit building, but no real knowledge of this particular field. I feel I may need to start some serious researching :wink:

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 17:22 

The character based M50530 display probably wouldn't need extra hardware. I don't have experience with this particular controller but as google gave some hits there seemed to be programs to drive this controller too.

Of course there's still the problem of finding the pinout to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 0:21 

Yes, I think I can get the character one running, I've found some stuff on the chips before but nothing solid on the pinouts, however I just found that article about discovering the correct pin's without a diagram and will have a go at getting it working. I may even learn enough on the way to make some progress with the graphical ones :)