It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 16:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:39 

Found some new LCD toy/hardware stuff.
SmartSwitch
lcd-keys
ScreenKeys
Obviously, not compatible with LCDInfo. (or is it?) :wink:
But, the cool new toy/hardware part is definitely there. And the usage posibilities are endless.

Schlepp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 23:28 

Heh I've seen those sometime before too. Interesting little devices but maybe not the most useful with LCDInfo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:55 

OK... so I'm posting before I have had a chance to read the spec sheet, as I don't have the time at the moment... But...

Surely these would use an I2C or a SPI interface to be programmed? I thought the PFC8544 driver used the same interface? Wouldn't it be theoretically possible to modify that driver to program these?

Also... If it is I2C or some similar serial method of programming, it would be also theoretically possible to have multiple keys connected on the same bus. Therefor making it possible also to map out a number of keys. LCDinfo could be made to do this by programming the driver to take into account the multiple screen addresses and mapping those to area's of a bigger screen. ie; If each button is 20x15 pixels, and you want to use 4 buttons, then you ave a display that is 40x30, or 80x15, or even 20x60 pixels. Sure, this could lead to some strange pictures on the buttons if somone uses bitmaps or text larger than the button size, as it would cascade over to the next button, or just not fit in the display...

Hmmmm Schlepp.. I like your thinking, they would be great toys. :) Even if LCDinfo doesn't support the button inputs, the buttons could be used via another input, or even externally, and the information collected via a plugin.

Anyway.... I've said my piece. ;) Just thought I would start more of a conversation.. or not. ;) After all, the idea of these forums is to share information, and discuss idea's... isn't it? ;)

Lots to look into...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:09 

I can't find single place in my whole apartment that these couldn't/shouldn't be modded into.
I need to make a few more contacts through my new job, and see if I can get some "samples". :roll:

When I showed him the pages; my son came up with a great idea for them. Make an electronic game like Simon.(press the colored buttons in sequence) Not using plain colored buttons though. But, display pictures/symbols in conjuction with the colors. That way there could be 2 buttons with the same color showing, but different symbols.
Damn, I love that kid. He's only 5 and he came come up with a complex idea like that.

Schlepp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 23:49 

Hmmm Smart kid!!!

I think he's on to something there. I don't know how well it could compete with the latest handheld games machines... But you could make an adult version as a drinking game or something that has no other competition in the current market. ;)

I'm interested to hear where else you would like to use them in your apartment. I'd love to use one as a doorbell, with changing text or graphics. But thats a basic use... there are probably thousands of uses for them. :) BTW, don't suppose you found a price when you were checking them out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:00 

No prices yet.

Shhhh... Remember, I'm playing the developer role here, and I can not be bothered with small problems like production costs until I have something to produce. :wink:

As for using it in a drinking game. Damn, now I love that kiddo even more. Only 5 years old and already has his priorities in line.

Schlepp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 17:32 

It's true that there shouldn't be any technical problem getting them to work with LCDInfo, only problem I can see is how to make LCDInfo interact with them in some usable way. Of course this can be fixed with some programming.

I'd be interested in price information too if that can be had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 23:46 

I just showed the PDFs to my boss... and he said, and I quote "Oh those things, yeah we sell them." Hmmm I had no idea... aparently we only sell them to order.. so I'll try and find a price here... but I don't think they will be cheap from here.

I was also thinking about ways to get the data (button push) back into LCDinfo without major changes to the core... wouldn't it be theoretically possible to creat a plug-in that could read pins on another port? Say one of the Serial ports. I know this is a bit of hack... and doesn't allow LCDinfo to actually interact with with the button, but it would allow feedback if the button is used for another purpose.

Anyway, just another idea to add to the collection. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:57 

Hhmmmmm....

Hey Syridian,
Do you want to ask your boss if they offer samples for us "Developers"? :lol:

You could present him with the proposal, that it would help to create a viable market that can extend profits by opening far reaching markets.
Seriously, I made up all that BS; without any help from my son. And my wife said, no more $$$ for toys; until I finishing "playing" with the toys I have now.

Schlepp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:16 

Syridian wrote:
I was also thinking about ways to get the data (button push) back into LCDinfo without major changes to the core... wouldn't it be theoretically possible to creat a plug-in that could read pins on another port? Say one of the Serial ports.

Sure, should be no problem. Just that some new features (already planned) should be coded to make use of the button presses in some intelligent way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 21:33 

Henri wrote:
to make use of the button presses in some intelligent way.

Hey now. You take that back, Henri.
I did not start this thread for people to use these in and INTELLIGENT WAY. :lol:

And I quote :wink:
Syridian wrote:
... But you could make an adult version as a drinking game or something that has no other competition

No really... I'm excited that this area of hardware(LCD display in general,) has such wide range of uses and support for users. And I want to extend my gratitude out to all the software/driver developers that are responsible for making this possible.

Thanks everybody,
Schlepp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 19:31 

Schlepp wrote:
Hey now. You take that back, Henri.
I did not start this thread for people to use these in and INTELLIGENT WAY. :lol:

Hehe, yes I think I have to admit intelligent wasn't the best word here :lol:

But these look like interesting devices and only problem I can see is the possibly high price in low quantities.