LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:05 

Hi, I am a student doing my final year project. I have to display some photo plethysmographic waveform from an OEM on a LCD. I have the OEM chip but i do not know how to write the program to program a 8051 microcontroller to display the waveform on the LCD. Please give me some advice on how to do my project because I have no experience in this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 0:42 

You should at least give us the details of your lcd so that someone would have the chance to help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:44 

I am using a GU128X32D-K610A4 LCD and a 8051 development kit to extract the data from the OEM. I need to program the 8051 chip to be able to display the waveform. And now I do not even know how to connect them together. Please leave me a mail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 17:53 

Hi, got your email about this but I prefer to answer here in the public forum where others may possibly benefit from the discussion and others can also help.

So based on your email your exact hardware is a 8051 development kit and Noritake GU128x32D-K610A4 VFD display.

C8051F005DK
http://www.silabs.com/public/documents/ ... 01x-DK.pdf

http://www.qscomp.cz/Pdf/GU128x32D-K610A4.pdf

(Hint for future: when you post questions like this you should also post links to your exact hardware and datasheets too. This would save me and others a lot of time looking for these.)

You said you have no experience with this so let's first concentrate on getting your hardware running and something on your display. Do you already have your development board working ?

With that display you have probably the easiest way to connect it to your development board is the asyncronous serial interface. Just connect the TX, RX pins to matching serial pins on your development board and set the serial port settings to 19200, no parity which is the default of the display.
Then in the full datasheet for the display that you have (you could upload it somewhere and post a link) on page 5 you have examples of what to send to the serial port to get something showing on the VFD.

Maybe this could get you started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:48 

Thanks so much for the help. But currently I am still struggling to connect up the LCD to my development board. You had mentioned that I should connect in the asyncronous serial interface and set the serial port settings to 19200, but I do not know how to do it. Can you please guide me through it? Thank you so much.

http://www.noritake-itron.com/Specs/GUK ... 0A4-06.pdf

http://www.nonin.com/documents/OEM%20II ... ations.pdf

I have posted the link for the full data sheet of the LCD and the OEM. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:16 

I finally connected them together. But my LCD has no light or whatsoever, I do not know how to write program to display characters on the LCD. Please give me advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:06 

I have changed my interface to parallel communication. But I still do not know how to write the program on page 5 of the datasheet. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:34 

Do you have any experience with Assembly programming at all? If not how come you even get such an assignment

It's hard to explain if you don't understand the basics of either microcontrollers or the programming language.
Your best bet is some step by step tutorial/introduction to the 8051/52 family. There are many books out there on that topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 14:25 

ykhuang21 wrote:
You had mentioned that I should connect in the asyncronous serial interface and set the serial port settings to 19200, but I do not know how to do it. Can you please guide me through it? Thank you so much.

I'm not familiar with the development board you have or the microcontroller used so it would requite me some work and time to learn how to configure the serial registers etc...
Are you familiar with 8051 and have you done programming with it before ? If not I would recommend you find someone local that can guide you in the first steps. I'm sure google could also provide you many tutorials on the subject so I suggest you try that. Of course I could do that too but as you are the one having the problem it would be more appropriate if you also did the work ;)

Also I suppose your development kit should come with example source code for this kind things.

ykhuang21 wrote:
I have changed my interface to parallel communication. But I still do not know how to write the program on page 5 of the datasheet. Please help.

Page 3 in the VFD module datasheet in section Parallel communication shows how to connect the display with parallel interface and also the timing diagram is shown which tells you how you need to manipulate the pins of the microcontroller to send commands and data to the display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:13 

I have connected them using the parallel communication interface, but I do not know how to write the code to send commands to those pins to display the examples on the VFD. If anyone knows how to write the code to show the words in the examples please help me. Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:10 

I know it in theory. But what's the point of writing it down for you, when you don't understand it?
If someone just posts the code here, you won't know what it does, and can't easily change it to further adapt it to your needs.

All someone could give you are the basics. In any case you'd need to change the code according to your application

As said, take a look at some Assembly language tutorials specific to your microcontroller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:49 

Looking at the development kit description it seems to me that there comes Keil C compiler environment with it so maybe C is the language used here ?

Do you have any of your own code running on the development board at the moment ? I mean any code, not even related to the display. And in which language is it written in ?

Also you need to tell the exact details of how you have connected the display to the microcontroller ports, which pin goes where, for anyone to even have a chance to tell you what the code should be like to make the display work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:33 

Sorry guys. My lecturer just changed my development kit to a Microtek EasyPack SLD 8052F. I am now using a P87C52UBPN and I need to use write my code in assembly.
I have used P1 for my data bus and P2.0 for my enable pin and P2.1 for my MB pin.

http://www.keil.com/dd/docs/datashts/ph ... c5x_ds.pdf
http://www.core.co.jp/products/c-ice/pdf/EP-S-8052.pdf
http://www.jinyibei.com.cn/download/SLD%20USE.pdf

I have learnt programming before, but what I had learnt was fairly basic, I do understand simple programming language, but I had never programmed a VFD or any kind of hardware before. I have no experience in handling the wiring and programming for those microchip and the pcb board before, does not means I know nothing about them. Just that I do not have enough knowledge to write out the porgram to control it. Not that I not want to write it out myself, I have read my notes again and again but I still cannot get the juice out of it. Anyway thank you for helping me and I hope you guys understands my situation cause I am kind of helpless now. Thank you so much. God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:55 

Hi guys. I have just managed to display something onto my VFD! Kind of proud of my work although it was just very simple programming. I needed some confident and it has spearheaded me to renewed confidence. But I still could not display 2 line at the same time, maybe anyone can help?

ORG 00H
JMP MAIN

MSG1 EQU 300H
ORG 100H

MSG2 EQU 500H

MAIN:

MOV A,#19H
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#1DH
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#10H
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#16H
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#0FH
CALL STROBE

MOV DPTR,#MSG1
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#10H
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#1FH
CALL STROBE

MOV A,#17H
CALL STROBE

MOV DPTR,#MSG2

NEXT: CLR A
MOVC A,@A+DPTR
ANL A,#01111111B
CJNE A,#0DH,LOOP
JMP HERE

LOOP: CALL STROBE
INC DPTR
JMP NEXT

HERE: JMP HERE

STROBE: SETB P2.0
MOV P0,A
CALL DELAY
CLR P2.0
RET

DELAY: MOV R0,#10H

ORG 300H
DB 'Thank',0DH

ORG 500H
DB 'You',0DH

END

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:19 

I have managed to display words and some simple graphics on my VFD. Now I need to proceed in trying to display some waveform onto the VFD, I still have no ideas on how I am write out the codes to display the waveform. Anyone have any ideas?