LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:12 

Hi to All
I see that here many people work with SED1335F(S1D13305F00A). Any body succeed to work in text mode with 16x16 bit characters(external CG)? I am curious is it possible or not with this controller? The datasheet is not clear enougth about this.

Thanks for the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 19:57 

The datasheet says you can go up to 16x16, but it looks like you have to create characters in 2 parts or something like that, not sure.

But you can create 8x16, I'm still trying to figure that part out myself. The datasheet is vague in that regards; the info is there, it's just not written big enough for me. :D An application note on the steps to create custom characters would have been nice.

At least I got the 8x8 default font coming out.

Robert
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 0:14 

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes I have use SED1335 with 16x16 characters. But I have to make a special set of custom characters. I load it as external font in the SED1335 memory. The trick is that I write every character in two halves. The first halves of every character are symbols 0 through 127 in my custom character set and the second halves are symbols 128 trough 255. The controller is initialized in 8x16 mode. So when I need a 16x16 I put
Write('A');
Write(0x80 | 'A');
There is one more workaround - to write the characters in graphic mode(I didn't try this).
Finaly I decide not to use 16x16 characters so I have stopped at this point.
But I am still curious if this is possible in the "normal" way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 0:53 

I got a 16x8 portrait font working, I did like you. I load the font from an external EEPROM at PIC startup into the LCD internal memory. In order to get more characters, I subtracted 32 from all characters so that I start at 0 for SPACES.

So I save the top 1/2 of the character at its proper address, and then add 128 to the address and save the bottom 1/2 there. It takes 2 writes for a single character, but my application does not need excessively rapid IO.

I still have some touch-ups to do on the lower-case characters.

Robert
:)