LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 18:59 

Hi All,

I just got this little display working, but its terribly slow doing it with big banging. I'm using an embedded RISC uP in a zigbee module that has built-in SPI hardware support that would most likely improve the speed, but its only for 8 and 16bit. Could I use this 16bit SPI HW interface with only 9bits of valid data? How would the EPSON controller handle the 7 extra clocks of bogus data? (I gave this a try and it didn't work... but just wanted to see if there might be a way to hack around this -- feeding in the last bit over and over??)

Many thanks guys. I also have some drawing and converting routines to take Adode Photoshop RAW files and turn them into the 332 8bit format. Anybody interested in those?

Thanks guys!
brian (at)
ecosynse (dot)
com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:03 

I noticed on the sparkfun site that the kind of unit I have still has the epson controller even though the ribbon cable isn't green, but I tried writing something for the phillips controller anyway and still no luck. I have my current code here http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/a/dak246/Code/NokiaLCD-Epson.c. The only possible problems left could be that: the screen is faulty, my spi code is faulty or my initialization code is faulty. I've tried every possible initialization configuration I could find for this controller and still nothing, which leads me to believe its not the problem. My spi code is borrowed from a working example too. I don't know what else to try...any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:08 

Hi all,

I just got the Espon LCD from Sparkfun.com, but I am having trouble compiling the example code given on the website. Since it's .cpp files I can't seem to run it with AVR studio 4. In fact I have tried many other example codes from various website but even though I am able to run those codes and seems to be able to program the ATMega32L microcontroller, but I still don't see anything except blue background on the LCD. Can anyone please give me some advices? A working example code would be even better.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 22:17 

Hi everyone.
It's my first post here, so i'd like to thank everyone posting in this tread for sharing their knowledge :D

I also have a question: Has anyone figured out the screen scrolling on phillips controller? The display works fine for me, i just can't make the contents scroll: if i understood correctly, i have to send the VSCRDEF command, with three arguments describing what portion of the screen is to be scrolled, and then i can continuously send SEP commands with one argument each, describing how far i want the screen to scroll. But this sequence doesn't work for me. Am i missing anything here?

@dak246 - good to see a fellow assembly programmer around :D
I think i can see your problem. Your data transfer protocol seems to be faulty.
When you do:
Code:
   btfss   TXByte,0       ;Skip next line if the bit to send is set
   bcf   PORTB,DATAP   ;Send a 0 bit
   btfsc   TXByte,0   ;Skip next line if bit to send is clear
   bsf   PORTB,DATAP   ;Send a 1 bit

bsf   PORTB,CLK   ;Bring the clock pin high

rrf   TXByte,1   ;Shift the bits of the byte being sent to the right

you check the least significant bit of the data, then shift bits right, cecking the second bit, etc.
AFAIK, you should transmit the most significant bit first (at least this is the case with phillips controller), so this portion of code should be:
Code:
   btfss   TXByte,7        ;check the most significant bit
   bcf   PORTB,DATAP   ;if it's low, send 0
   btfsc   TXByte,7        ;else
   bsf   PORTB,DATAP   ;Send a 1 bit

bsf   PORTB,CLK      ;Bring the clock pin high

rlf   TXByte,1          ;Shift the bits of the byte being sent to the LEFT

Otherwise than that your code seems fine.

Here's my sending routine:
Code:
SPI_sendCmd
  CLK0                                    
  SDA0         
  CLK1                                    
  goto SPI_sendByte                           

SPI_sendData                        
  CLK0                                    
  SDA1
  CLK1                                    
  goto SPI_sendByte                           

SPI_sendByte
  movlw 0x08
  movwf TEMP1
sendBit
  CLK0
  cpbit SHIFT_REG, 7, SDA
  rlf SHIFT_REG, f
  CLK1
  decfsz TEMP1, f
  goto sendBit
 return

with defines and macros put in the header, just to make life a bit easier:
Code:
#define CLK PORTA,0
#define SDA PORTA,1

#define CS0 bcf CS
#define CS1 bsf CS
#define CLK0 bcf CLK
#define CLK1 bsf CLK
#define SDA0 bcf SDA
#define SDA1 bsf SDA

cpbit macro FROM_R, FROM_B, TO_R, TO_B ;copy bit between registers
  btfsc FROM_R, FROM_B      
   bsf TO_R, TO_B   
  btfss FROM_R, FROM_B   
   bcf TO_R, TO_B
 endm

Works like a charm for me.

And if you want to make sure what controller you have in your lcd, i'd suggest to use the program from this site:
http://electronique.marcel.free.fr/LCD% ... leurs.html
It can drive both epson and phillips-based lcd's, so if one of them works, you'll know which lcd you have. If neighter works - well, you'll just have to get a new display ;)

I hope it helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 23:49 

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with using this display/controller (EPSON) in the 12-bit color mode? I don't seem to be able to write a single pixel... the controller seems to require 3 bytes to complete a data write in this mode, but that turns on 2 pixels instead of one. Also, it seems that you cannot start writing pixels at an odd column address when in the 12-bit color mode...

Am I just nuts or have others experienced this complication...

(By the way, everything works correctly and as expected when the 8-bit mode is selected...)

Thanks, Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 20:05 

skl10 wrote:
Hi all,

I just got the Espon LCD from Sparkfun.com, but I am having trouble compiling the example code given on the website. Since it's .cpp files I can't seem to run it with AVR studio 4. In fact I have tried many other example codes from various website but even though I am able to run those codes and seems to be able to program the ATMega32L microcontroller, but I still don't see anything except blue background on the LCD. Can anyone please give me some advices? A working example code would be even better.

Thanks

Hi skl10,

I have this LCD panel working with an MSP430 controller... I wrote a small demo program that I'd be glad to send you if you are comfortable translating the code from MSP430 to ATMega (and making adjustments for the different hardware connections you'll have).

Let me know...

Regards, Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 20:14 

dak246 wrote:
I noticed on the sparkfun site that the kind of unit I have still has the epson controller even though the ribbon cable isn't green, but I tried writing something for the phillips controller anyway and still no luck. I have my current code here http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/a/dak246/Code/NokiaLCD-Epson.c. The only possible problems left could be that: the screen is faulty, my spi code is faulty or my initialization code is faulty. I've tried every possible initialization configuration I could find for this controller and still nothing, which leads me to believe its not the problem. My spi code is borrowed from a working example too. I don't know what else to try...any ideas?

I noticed in your code that you set the 1st parameter of the VOLCTR command to 5... I've been using 24 and not doing further adjustment with the VOLUP/VOLDN command (in your loop at the end of the LCD initialization sequence). Could it be that you just can't see what you've drawn because the contrast is too low?

Regards, Jon.

Post subject: fluctuating brightness
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:27 

I too have the new displays and carrier boards from sparkfun. After changing the value of the two VOLCTR data bytes from (0xff, 0x01) on the old displays with green connector, to (24,3) for the displays with the brown connector, I brought an image up, but the brightness (contrast too?), seems to fluctuate randomly at low frequency. This does not appear to be high frequency noise from the power supply.

Has anyone else seen this? I've tried 4 of these new displays and they all seem to have the same problem. Again, its like every other second or so, the brightness changes, and sometimes even causes a flicker.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
brian
(at)
ecosynse
(dot)
com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:48 

Hi, all

I'm newbie here, recently I'm working on Nokia 6100 LCD Epson one, I want to implement 4 push buttons (select, back, up and down) work with a menu, which can choose one function. I want to know how can I make it, is there a sample code about that? If someone worked on it, please help me, thanks a lot.

And another problem, I can draw many images with some functions, but how can I make a bar, I mean just this bar can move on the images, like I want to choose one part on the menu, and keep the image not move. Because I did two images, one is a menu, the other is the same menu with a bar, when I display them, it always clear the first one, and takes a lot of time to show the second one, not looks like a real menu. So please tell me what can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 18:17 

The demo code that Olimex offers for the MSP430-4619LCD board (which uses the same LCD) has a functioning menu in it - perhaps you could adapt or adopt something from it...

www.olimex.com/dev/soft/msp430/MSP430-4619LCD.zip

Good luck!

lovely1118 wrote:
Hi, all

I'm newbie here, recently I'm working on Nokia 6100 LCD Epson one, I want to implement 4 push buttons (select, back, up and down) work with a menu, which can choose one function. I want to know how can I make it, is there a sample code about that? If someone worked on it, please help me, thanks a lot.

And another problem, I can draw many images with some functions, but how can I make a bar, I mean just this bar can move on the images, like I want to choose one part on the menu, and keep the image not move. Because I did two images, one is a menu, the other is the same menu with a bar, when I display them, it always clear the first one, and takes a lot of time to show the second one, not looks like a real menu. So please tell me what can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:59 

I'm having trouble too. I'm using a Sparkfun LCD (Epson controller, AFAIK) with an Arduino microcontroller with code from here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/S1D15G ... 10NokiaLCD

The LED inits, displays my image quite brightly, but then about half a second later the image gets almost invisibly dim. The backlight remains on. Have other people experienced this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 17:18 

jmdhuse wrote:
The demo code that Olimex offers for the MSP430-4619LCD board (which uses the same LCD) has a functioning menu in it - perhaps you could adapt or adopt something from it...

www.olimex.com/dev/soft/msp430/MSP430-4619LCD.zip

Good luck!

Thanks jmdhuse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 18:01 

Hey all!

I recently bought the Nokia 6100 knock-off lcd and the carrier board from sparkfun.com. I have an atmel atmega32, mega48, and mega168. I'm using avrdude to program the chip and programming in c/assembly. Does anybody have any simple sample code that I can use to display something on the lcd? So far nothing has worked. I've gotten the lcd to light up, but that's it. I'm using the code provided on this page: http://www.e-dsp.com/controlling-a-color-graphic-lcd-epson-s1d15g10-controller-with-an-atmel-avr-atmega32l/

There are several items mentioned that I haven't used. I didn't use any resistors or the 4mhz quartz. Are they important? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-tr0picana

Post subject: To tr0picana...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 23:38 

If you are comfortable moving code from 1 architecture to another I can send you a zip file with a demo application for this LCD written for an MSP430 architecture microcontroller...

Regards, Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 14:53 

Unfortunately, I don't think I can do that :(

Right now I think my problem is that I didn't follow the circuit diagram.

Any other ideas?

*EDIT*

I did exactly as the circuit diagram suggested, minus the resistors because I wasn't given any values. It still doesn't work though!! Help would be Greatly appreciated.

- tr0picana

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next