LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 20:13 

Yeah, seams like this could be of any help. LCDInfo already comes with the latest version of the driver but it seems the driver has to be installed with administrator privileges. That has to be done in the software.

@Henri, that'll be your part. I would really appreciate your help!

cu

Sascha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 23:29 

Would it not be a case of simply dropping the files into the LCDinfo directory? The way the current version already works. Surely the latest version would be fully compatable with the older version?

That is actually something you could try yourself, just by backing up your LCDinfo directory, and then dropping the WinIO Version 2 files in there. No need to bother Henri with something as trivial as that is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:44 

Syridian wrote:
Would it not be a case of simply dropping the files into the LCDinfo directory? The way the current version already works. Surely the latest version would be fully compatable with the older version?

That is actually something you could try yourself, just by backing up your LCDinfo directory, and then dropping the WinIO Version 2 files in there. No need to bother Henri with something as trivial as that is there?

Sorry Syridian, you got me wrong. As I wrote furter up LCDInfo 0.6 build 19 already comes with the latest version of the winlo driver. There has to be a routine that installs the driver with administrator rights!

I already tried the latest driver in various directorys (lcdinfo, system, system32) and already tried to give the .dll full rights with the current user ... nothing worked :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 13:04 

I'm guessing that you haven't run LCDinfo under an administrator login yet? First try logging in under an admin account, running LCDinfo, and then rebooting. See if that works, if not... Well... time to look into you problem would be a good thing... but someone will eventually...

WinIO Help File wrote:
Using WinIo from a non-administrative account

WinIo can now be used from non-administrative accounts under Windows NT/2000/XP. In order to support this configuration, the WinIo driver (winio.sys) must be first installed on the system from an administrative account using the InstallWinIoDriver function, which is provided by the library. Following installation, the driver will load automatically whenever Windows starts. An application will then be able to use the library's functions to access I/O ports and physical memory.

You should take the following steps in order to use WinIo from a non-administrative account:

Place winio.dll, winio.vxd and winio.sys in the directory where your application resides.
    Log on as an administrator.
    Call InstallWinIoDriver with the first parameter set to the path of the winio.sys file (e.g. c:\myapp\winio.sys).
    Reboot the system.
    Log on as a regular user.
    You should now be able to use WinIo in the same way as when using the library from an administrative account.
    When WinIo is no longer required, call RemoveWinIoDriver to remove the WinIo driver from the system. This must be performed from an administrative account.

InstallWinIoDriver in WinIO Help file wrote:
This function installs the WinIo driver.

bool _stdcall InstallWinIoDriver(
    PSTR pszWinIoDriverPath,
    bool IsDemandLoaded
    );
    Parameters
    pszWinIoDriverPath
    [in] Pointer to a null-terminated string that specifies the path to the winio.sys driver.

IsDemandLoaded
    [in] This parameter must be set to false.
    Return Values
    If the function succeeds, the return value is true. Otherwise, the function returns false.

Remarks
The InstallWinIoDriver function installs the WinIo driver and configures it to load automatically when Windows starts. This function fails if called from a non-administrative account.

Henri, does LCDinfo perform this install when it is first loaded? Once it is done, it is installed properly all of the time, or does it get installed each time it is run, and if the account is not an admin account would the second time fail? Loads of questions... As usual. ;) I suppose I should take a look at the source to see if I can find it myself... But I don't really have the time.

PS: Anyone have a rough design for a Cheap to build 500 Watt Electronic Load?

Last edited by Syridian on Tue Feb 22, 2005 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 13:13 

Syridian wrote:
Henri, does LCDinfo perform this install when it is first loaded? Once it is done, it is installed properly all of the time, or does it get installed each time it is run, and if the account is not an admin account would the second time fail? Loads of questions... As usual. ;) I suppose I should take a look at the source to see if I can find it myself... But I don't really have the time.

From my experience I think it is installed when it's first loaded. As mentioned above, after running LCDInfo from an Account with administrator rights I can log on with user rights and LDCInfo works .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 13:24 

So what you are saying is that after you shut the machine down, then reboot it, you loose the install and have to start all over again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 14:23 

Syridian wrote:
So what you are saying is that after you shut the machine down, then reboot it, you loose the install and have to start all over again?

Not exactly. That depends on what you mean by "install".

Here's what I did:

- I downloaded LDCInfo 08 build 18 from here http://forum.lcdinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=387
and updated the .exe and the .manifest
- I extracted it to a directory c:\programme\lcdinfo
- I started lcdinfo.exe from that directory

Begin here:
Now, right after booting the machine, when starting LCDInfo from a user account the programm itself starts (and appears in the taskbar) but there's no output in the display.

After changing to an account with administrator rights I can run LCDInfo and the display will show the current screen.

After that I'm changing back to the account with user rights and then everything works (LCDInfo is running an the display is showing the current screen).

After rebooting it starts with "begin here"

Anything else that can be of any help to solve the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 21:58 

Yup... Can you find me more that about 5-10 minutes to work it out? Sounds like this problem is going to get added to the todo list... which is already pretty long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 23:21 

Syridian wrote:
Yup... Can you find me more that about 5-10 minutes to work it out?

Sorry Syridian, I'm just a german guy trying to read and write english :-) I just don't get the sense in your posting. What do you mean????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:07 

I mean, that Support for LCDinfo is volunteered. It's a labour of love, and there is no financial benefit to anyone for support. Most of the regulars on the forums help out when they have a spare 5 minutes or so, just to help the n00bs. And there are alot of other issues that need attention also. :)

Your problem is not a simple one to fix, and will require time to go through the source code and workout if there is a possible fix for it. This issue might also be an issue with WinIO and not LCDinfo... There are a number of things that need to be checked, and time is something that alot of us don't have. :) Someone will look into your problem, but more than likely not in the next week or possibly even month. Thats not to say it won't be done sooner, but don't be too hopeful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:53 

Syridian wrote:
I mean, that Support for LCDinfo is volunteered. ... Thats not to say it won't be done sooner, but don't be too hopeful.

Okay, now I got what you wanted to say. I already knew that and really appreciate your help. So I will sit back, relax, enjoy what I can do with LCDInfo (which is really a cool piece of software) and wait for someone to solve my problem.

Unfortunately I cannot write C - Code so I can't be of any help.

So long

Sascha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:16 

That install_for_winio.rar package I posted earlier to this topic was supposed to do exactly the install procedure needed that Syridian also found. That program was made couple years ago and for some reason it never worked reliably for installing the driver.

But here I have another command line utility that hopefully works better. It should do the exact same thing as the earlier program which is calling the InstallWinIoDriver() and RemoveWinIoDriver() functions but maybe this would work better.
http://www.skippari.net/lcd/alpha/winio_install.rar

LCDInfo itself is not calling this install. In fact the core LCDInfo doesn't even know anything about IO drivers and it's just the drivers that use the IO driver. So this WinIO driver install needs to be done under administrative account with the separate utility. If you're running LCDInfo under administrative account you don't need to run the install as LCDInfo (drivers) loads WinIO on demand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:04 

Thank, I'll see if I can try this one out tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 22:44 

Okay, I tried it out :-( it didn't work :-(

After running the installer I checked the registry. There is now a key under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinIo

but that didn't help anything. I also tried giving that key full rights, no difference ... so, seems like something for the list Syridian was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:56 

Ok... Not saying you didn't do exactly this, but just want to make sure....

1. Boot machine, and log into an Admin account.
2. Run Henri's commandline WinIO installer.
3. Restart machine, and log into User account.
4. Run LCDinfo
5. Yeay!!!! Everything works!!!

Yes, the last one is hopeful optimisim. ;)