LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:15 

Hello everyone. I am a total newb here. I would really like to use this LCD display from a portable dvd player that stopped reading the dvds. The lens crapped out and as far as I know is the only thing wrong. I took the board and the LCD out and removed the lens , lens mount etc so now its just the board, lcd and im assuming the board for backlighting the LCD? Im really new to this and would love some guidence in the correct direction.

This was an Apex (cheap, yes I know) portable DVD player. There are some stickers on the back of the LCD display with several different codes and numbers. Since I have no clue on which is important or not:

PA050XS1N4 SB9-D85017
PA050XS1N4DA00001132A9

13-0500101
920905 124169

I still have the power cable etc to power the board. I figured that might make things alot easier. Thanks in advance for any advice or help I may recieve. I will finish off with some poorly lit pics. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 20:29 

No help at all? Thats kind of surprising....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 16:15 

Since this kind of display uses it's own type of video controller, it will be hard to try and find any info on it. Most LCD apps, except a few, use monochrome type displays through the parallel port. It's probably one reason no one has responded. Not that no one wants to help, just that it would be difficult to decipher this display without a datasheet or some kind of other info. Best idea I can think of is to just try and search the net for some info from the part numbers you have. Some of these are usable as a second display in a PC, but the manufacturers vary so drastically that it's a shot in the dark as to what can be done with these. I have a unit from a dead portable as well and the screen is the same as the PSone screens you read alot about. However, it uses a completely different controller board, so not sure if it's usable or not. Don't give up though, just keep searching. Sorry couldn't offer more help :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 

Oh thanks a ton for responding. This helps alot actually. At least now I know where I stand with it. I would love to use it for the pc or something along those lines.

I remember seeing a mod at hackaday that turned a small lcd screen into pretty much anything and had some good ideas of what i wanted to do with it but thats cool. Its still a big step in the right direction now that i know.

Thanks ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:20 

One thing that is usualy done with these types of displays is to drive it through a composite out (like the yellow connector out of your VCR/DVD player) that come off of some video cards. Then, they use Samurize (display software) to run it pretty much like a secondary monitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:15 

Do you remember if your DVD player had a video input? If so, you can use 1~0's idea to display things on it. Displays like this are often used in DIY portable consoles, maybe that is what you saw on hackaday. You can check Ben Heck's site out here; it has a lot of stuff on portable consoles if you are interested.