LCDInfo.com

http://www.lcdinfo.com
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:03

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Small LCD Suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:21 

After reading through some topics, it seems that I've come to the right place for a little help finding a suitable lcd for my project. What's I'm looking for is a pretty small lcd, probably about the size of one found on a cellphone. I'm going to be building a small projector, so it's really important that the circuity for the lcd can be moved out of the way so that I can cast light from a couple of leds through lcd. I really don't know much about lcds, but I'm definitely willing to learn so that this project isn't shelved. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:50 

I think that [this] display might be what I'm after. Is there a way to shine light through the back of the panel so that I can project it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:57 

OK.. So you are only after a low resolution monocrome LCD?

Everything below is theoretical.

If you are interested in that LCD, I don't believe that there is actually any circuitry on the back of it. Just a thin film aluminium reflector, which, not having one I'm willing to destroy, I wouldn't know if it's removeable... It should be though. It should be stuck on the back of the lcd with some sort of glue.

If you are projecting through this, you might want to also concider inverting the LCD by rotating one of the polorization layers by 90 degrees(not an easy task).

Another think to think of with using LCD's to project through is heat collected from you lightsource. A small IR filter would reduce this by about 40% (that is a filter to BLOCK IR, not one to just let IR through. But you will still need to provide the LCD with constant fan cooling to stop it from exceeding the 55DegC temp mark.

Once again... everthing is theoretical, and has not be practically tested. Let me know how you go. And I would mind knowing what you have in mind for this project either. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 14:06 

Go for a T6963c LCD, they come in sizes ranging from 128x64 upto 240x128 , they give great results and are dead easy to wire and are supported by the best software LCDINFO :D , and animation is fantastic, i know that is where i wish i had started. They can be difficult to track down, especially in blue lol , but keep looking they are worth it in the end, and if you are in the UK , give me a mail I have a few 240x128 spare at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 15:10 

Yes I think this lcd should have a theoretical possibility to work for you.

When I worked with that I noticed you could see through it even without peeling of any films when placing it in front of a light source. Of course you should get more transparency if you take of the film from the back. I don't remember the exact construction of the display but this is probably a display you could look into.
But I remember that the thought of trying to project something with it crossed my mind at the time but I haven't really remembered it after that.

Then of course you still have the problems Syridian mentioned but you can only try what happens.
I'll be interested hearing what kind results you might have with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 0:37 

It looks like that lcd is the one that I'll go with then. I need to have a look around and see where I can get it for cheap, along with an ir filter and some kind of light source. I'm not so sure that some leds are gonna be bright enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 

Wouldn't you need a color VGA (or higher) screen to make a decent useable projector? There are 2 DIY beamer projects on Bit-tech running now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:20 

This is gonna be for small time stuff, like displaying winamp track info or server status. I don't know a whole lot about this sort of thing, but I'm sure gonna research it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:35 

You can remove the silver foil in the back of the display. I does nothing. BUT remove only the silver foil and NOT the polariser. The silver foil is very thin and usually it is easy to remove it. the polariser is thicker and hard to remove. If any glue stays on the LCD rub it with alcohol to remove it.

The LCD will not be fully transparent but will have a little of... (I cant express it in english... :oops: ) you get the point, it wont be fully transparent.

Take care about the temperature and good luck!